Monday, July 2, 2007

A Tie for Third Place: Teens need physical spaces as well as virtual places

A Tie for Third Place: Teens need physical spaces as well as virtual places, by Paula Brehm Heeger, School Library Journal, July 2006
The title of this article caught my eye. With all the talk about virtual space I was interested in how teens want to use the physical space available to them. Sociologist Ray Oldenburg has studied the “decline of third spaces, or public and informal gathering spaces, in his book The Great, good Place.” Third spaces are critical to the health of the overall community as they are considered a “neutral ground”, anyone is welcome regardless of stereotypes and they are safe from bullying. People are welcome to visit and be themselves while interacting with others. Evidently, third spaces are becoming a scarcity thus boosting the popularity of social network sites (MySpace, Face Book,…). Unfortunately, the social network sites are not always safe and they completely lack the human touch. The social equity provided in a third space is very important, especially during the teen years when kids seek acceptance.

What did I learn?
Not only do I need to treat teens with respect I must make sure every staff member does the same. The kids must feel free to express themselves in a safe environment with caring adults. I need to create a space that reflects their input and interests. One that is open, clean, inviting and comfortable. Although not mentioned I realize that I will need to make sure all kids feel free to use the space. Often a certain group “claims” a table/area. If I have reason to believe that people are not welcome I must intervene.

How will I use this information?
I intend to read more about teens need to have a third space. The terminology is new to me but I understand that kids are looking for a safe place to interact with peers. Community centers often don’t accommodate teens, sometimes there is not a home to go to, and sometimes kids actually want to have an adult around. Too often teens seek social interaction thru parties. I hope to offer an alternative. Maybe via book clubs, monthly donut parties, or perhaps something even less structured – just allowing the kids to hand out (without bothering others) ready to listen when needed. Finally, the article suggests, if I still am unsure about what to do I will ask a teen.

No comments: