Thursday, July 12, 2007

Keeping up with really simple syndication (rss)

Keeping up with really simple syndication (rss)
Teacher Librarian February 2007-07-11

This article provided a simple description of what RSS is, what it does, who uses it, as well as its applications; perfect for a technically challenged person such as myself.

What I learned:
I now know that RSS stands for really simple syndication (although it has had various meanings in the past – none of which I am familiar with). It does just that: syndicates information in a really simple way. Rather than periodically checking websites or blogs that you find interesting you may simply sign up for RSS so that you will be informed of new features immediately (or at a time you choose as convenient). Currently, RSS is the fasted way to have new information delivered to you. The most amazing thing to me is that you not only may choose the information you want delivered, the time you want it delivered, but also the method of delivery (i.e. computer, phone, iPod). Keeping up with constantly changing information has never been easier.

The technology applies to any type of site; business, news, or personal blog. Interestingly, the article mentions that some people may opt not to visit your site if you do not offer RSS – they may instead find another site willing to accommodate their desires.

The future of RSS is huge as it will soon become mainstream; an expectation of the tech savvy culture. RSS works as well on high speed connections as it does on slow dial-ups and there are many ways to create RSS feeds: some free, some requiring investment.

What do I intend to do with this new information:
First I’d like to set up an RSS feed with a teacher-librarian site if possible. Being new, I can’t get enough information on librarianship. Oddly enough, I find it fascinating. Maybe in the future my library’s website will offer an RSS feed.

No comments: