Thursday, July 12, 2007

Librarians in Multi-User Virtual Environments

Librarians in Multi-User Virtual Environments
Smart Libraries, March 2007, Volume XXVII, Number 3



Sometimes I begin reading the articles I choose with a foggy feeling in my head. MUVE???? Second Life????? Avatars????? Where have I been the last 10 years?

This was a super article discussing the possibilities of libraries in virtual environments. What I loved was that the most interesting prospect (from the authors point of view) is the possibility to recreate literate conversation that used to exist in libraries and coffee houses in the 18th century – and I quote “not in the early 21st century – sorry, Starbucks”.

I need to quote from the text within the “Librarium and Philosopher’s Club” because it is so moving. One avatar wonders if the libraries in MUVE’s will focus on conversation or collections of information objects. Following please enjoy the text from that chat:

“The library has for a long time been a space where people congregate to create knowledge and to learn, to form social communities and bonds over shared conversations. The books, exhibits, and whatnot, inspire, supplement, and provide the genesis for these converstions…”

With the creation of third spaces and a generation more adept, perhaps, at texting than face to face conversations we need not forget to always massage the beauty of sharing ideas. As long as the mind is engaged does it matter if the thought exchange occurs between people within the same brick and mortar? I think the exchange may even be taken to a higher level with people from around the world with a variety of backgrounds.

What I learned:
I will open my heart and try and embrace technology – even when I find it quite bizarre. Most likely, there is something I can learn from it or someway that I can grow personally.

No comments: