Tuesday, July 17, 2007

iPods Offer Gateways for New Learning Experiences

iPods Offer Gateways for New Learning Experiences
by Angel Ann Zukowski, Momentum (Washington, D.C.) 38 no1 102-3 F/Mr 2007


iPods are in the hands of nearly every pre-teen in America why not use them as an educational tool? This article provides a proactive view on new technology. Rather than scoff at the proliferate use of various communication devices, why not use them to our advantage?

While some educators view iPods as glorified tape recorders, let's not forget their incredible storage capability and ease of transport. When was the last time you put a tape recorder in your pocket? Let's embrace what the world is bringing to us!

What I learned:
The uses of iPods in education may be limited only by our imagination. IStory Creator sounds intriguing (software that allows a user to create a story and then lets other users manipulate how the story progresses), however when I went to the website mentioned I could not find anything on iStory. I did however find many interesting uses for an iPod (GoogleGet, mapping capabilities, movie showtimes, horoscopes...). Another educational use is "course-casting", an application where teachers provide classroom materials for home study or group work.

I think at the very least I need to learn how to use my daughter's iPod. Maybe it will intice me to buy my own, hopefully to enhance the learning experience of my students.

No comments: